Apple AirPods aren’t just your regular earbuds. They are more than that. They are equipped with many features that make joining calls and listening to music much more convenient.
To get the most out of your AirPods, you need to learn some Airpods tips and tricks. These tips will teach you how to use certain features on your AirPods and will even help you discover hidden features.
How to know which AirPods you have
If you want to verify the generation of your AirPods, you can do so by finding the model number written on your AirPods and matching it with Apple’s model number list.
- Take both AirPods out of the case and find the model numbers under the pods.
- If it’s A2084 And A2083then you have AirPods Pro.
- If your model numbers are A2032 And A2031you have AirPods (2nd generation).
- If the model numbers are A1523 And A1722you have the First generation AirPods.
Finding which charging case you have is also easy.
- Whether the charging case has the model number A2190it’s a Charging case for AirPods Pro with wireless charging.
- If your case has the model number A1938it’s a wireless charging case for 1st and 2nd generation AirPods.
- The charging case with model number A1602 and the lightning charging case for 1st and 2nd generation AirPods.
What the various lights on the AirPods mean
The charging case of the AirPods shows various lights. Each light has a meaning and tells you something about your AirPods.
- White light: This means your AirPods are ready to pair with a device.
- Amber light while the AirPods are in the case: Your AirPods are charging.
- Amber light without the AirPods in the case: Your case has less than one charge remaining on it.
- Flashing amber light: There is a problem with the pairing.
- Green light while the AirPods are in the case: Your AirPods are charged.
- Green light while the AirPods are not in the case: Your case is charged.
How to connect AirPods to an iPhone
Pairing your AirPods with an iPhone is just a matter of tapping a button.
- Open the case lid while the AirPods are still inside.
- Bring the case closer to your iPhone.
- You will see a message on your iPhone. Faucet Connect to pair your AirPods with your iPhone.
How to connect AirPods to other devices
Your AirPods work with almost any Bluetooth-enabled device available. But the pairing process is different from that of the iPhone. Here we show how to connect your AirPods to an Android device. You can use the same steps to connect your AirPods to other Bluetooth-enabled devices.
- Open the case lid but don’t remove the AirPods yet.
- Touch and hold the button on the back of the case until the light inside the case flashes white.
- On your Android phone, go to Settings> Bluetooth & Device Connection> Pair New Device and touch yours AirPods to connect to them.
Some of the AirPods features you use on your iPhone won’t work on Android and other devices. However, there are some AirPods controller apps that you can use to access Apple-exclusive features on your non-Apple devices.
How to change the controls of AirPods
AirPods come with double-tap gestures that let you perform actions like change the music track and pause your music without using your iPhone. These gestures are customizable and you can change them if you wish.
- Make sure your AirPods are paired with your iPhone.
- Open the Settings app on your iPhone and tap Bluetooth.
- Click the I icon next to your AirPods.
- Faucet They left in the Double-tap AirPods section to change the double left tap gesture.
- Select one of the actions from the list on the screen.
- Faucet right and choose an action for the right AirPod.
How to change the name of the AirPods
Like how you can change AirDrop name on your iPhone and Mac, you can also change AirPods name.
- Pair your AirPods with your iPhone.
- Go to Settings> Bluetooth on your iPhone and tap I next to your AirPods.
- Click the First name field.
- Enter a new name for your AirPods.
How to adjust the volume of the AirPods
Apple AirPods don’t come with volume rockers, so you’ll need to use the volume control buttons on your device to control the AirPods volume.
How to find your AirPods
Just like Apple lets you find your lost iPhone, you can find your lost AirPods too.
- Open a browser and go to the iCloud website. Log into your iCloud account.
- Click Find iPhone in the following screen.
- Click All devices at the top and select yours AirPods.
- iCloud will show the location of your AirPods on a map. Click Play audio to remotely play a sound on your AirPods to locate them.
How to check the battery level of the AirPods
You can check the battery level of your AirPods on both your iOS and Android devices.
- Open the case lid while one of your AirPods is still inside.
- Bring the case close to your iPhone and you’ll see the current battery levels.
- If you are on Android, follow the steps above after installing the AirBattery app on your phone.
How to charge your AirPods
Charging your AirPods is easy and you don’t need to connect them to anything with a cable.
- Place your AirPods in the charging case.
- Your case will start charging your AirPods.
How to charge the AirPods case
The charging case contains a significant amount of battery, but you will need to charge it once every two to three days, depending on usage.
- If yours is a wireless charging case, place it on a Qi certified wireless charger and it will start charging.
- If yours is a Lightning charging case, plug one end of the cable into the case and the other end into a charger or USB port on your computer.
How to check the firmware version of your AirPods
Your AirPods are running a certain firmware version that you can control from your iPhone.
- Go to Settings> General> About on your iPhone and tap AirPods.
- Your AirPods firmware version will be listed next to Firmware version.
Use automatic ear detection
Your AirPods come with a feature that routes audio from your iPhone to your pods as soon as you put them in your ears. You need to enable this feature before using it.
- Go to Settings> Bluetooth and touch the I icon next to your AirPods.
- turn on the Automatic ear detection option.
How to change the active microphone for your AirPods
Both of your AirPods come with a microphone, and you can manually choose which AirPod microphone you want to use.
- Launch Settingsfaucet Bluetoothand touch the I icon next to your AirPods.
- Faucet Microphone At bottom.
- Select one of the options available on the screen.
How to accept an incoming call with your AirPods
If you receive a call while using the AirPods, you can accept the call by simply tapping your AirPods.
- If you have AirPods Pro, press the force sensor to accept the incoming call.
- If you have first or second generation AirPods, double-tap one of your AirPods.
- You can use the same gestures to hang up a call.
Get your AirPods to announce caller names
Your AirPods can tell you who is calling if you have enabled caller announcements on your iPhone.
- Start the Settings app on your iPhone and tap Phone.
- Faucet Announce calls in the following screen.
- Choose the All time option.
Use your AirPods to hear the sounds around you
You can listen to the live sounds around your iPhone with your AirPods.
- Go to Settings on your iPhone and tap Control center.
- Select the Customize the controls option.
- Click the + (plus) sign for Hearing.
- Lift from the bottom of your iPhone to open Control Center.
- Tap the hearing icon.
- Click the Listen live option.
Use a pod to make AirPods battery last longer
It is not necessary to use both pods at a time. You can simply use one of the AirPods while the other is charging. That way, when one pod’s battery is dead, you can use the other while the first is charging.
How to unpair Apple AirPods from your iPhone
If you no longer want to use your AirPods with your iPhone, you can unpair and remove them from your phone.
- Open the Settings app and tap Bluetooth.
- Click the I icon next to your AirPods.
- Faucet Forget this device to unpair your AirPods.
Do you know any Apple AirPods tips and tricks we missed on this list? If you do, let us know about these tips in the comments below.