Is your Apple TV Remote malfunctioning, lost, or damaged? If you can control your Apple TV from your iPhone, iPad, iPod, or Mac, you don’t need to spend more than $ 50 on your new remote. These Apple devices come with a built-in remote control that controls your Apple TV, just like a physical remote control.
You can also use a third-party app to navigate your Apple TV without a remote control. This tutorial describes all the techniques, apps, and tools you can use to control Apple TV from iPhone, iPad, and Mac.
Control your Apple TV from your iPhone or iPad
Apple TV Remote is automatically added to the Control Center on your iPhone or iPad when you set up your Apple TV on your device. It’s also added when you type text on the TV screen using the Apple TV keyboard.
If your iPhone is running iOS 11 or earlier, there is no Apple TV Remote in Control Center. For iPad, the operating system requirement is iPad OS 13 or later.
Still, you can manually add Apple TV Remote to Control Center without updating your device.
- Open setting iPhone or iPad app.
- select Control center,[その他のコントロール]Scroll down to the section.
- Tap Plus (+) icon Next to Apple TV Remote.
- Open the device control center and Remote icon Launch the AppleTV Remote interface.
Simple tip: To access the iOS Control Center on your iPhone using the physical home button, swipe up from the bottom of the screen. On iPhones with a notch, swipe down from the upper right corner of the screen. On iPad, swipe down from the upper right corner of the screen to open the Control Center.
If you have multiple Apple TVs linked to your Apple ID, Up arrow icon At the top of the screen, select the Apple TV you want to control.
Understand Apple TV Remote Interface for iPhone and iPad
The interface of Apple TV Remote is very simple. The gray rectangle is the “touch area”. This reflects the touch surface of the Siri Remote (2nd generation) touch-enabled click pad or 1st generation Apple TV Remote. There are basic options for controlling media playback on the remote interface.
Swipe Touch area Move between apps and items. To select an item, tap anywhere in the touch area.
Note that when you play content in a particular app, additional controls pop up in the touch area.For example, if you’re watching a movie on Netflix, the remote interface[戻る]With a button[進む]A button is displayed. Tap any button to skip playback around 10 seconds each.
The functions of the other buttons are self-explanatory.
- The Microphone button Activate Siri to allow you to search and control your Apple TV via voice commands on your iPhone or iPad.
- Tap Button with TV icon Go to your Apple TV home screen.
- Press Press the TV button twice Open the Toggle view of the Apple TV app and hold down the same button to access the Apple TV Control Center.
- The Play / pause button Pauses and resumes playback of the media in the lower left corner.
- The menu button Multi-functional: Tap once to return to the previous screen, or press and hold the button to open the home screen. On the home screen, tap the Menu button to activate the Apple TV screen saver.
- Tap seek Click the button in the lower right corner to launch the Apple TV Search app. After that, the search button changes to a keyboard icon.
- Tap Keyboard buttons Enter the search query using your iOS or iPadOS keyboard.
Control Apple TV from Mac
Mac notebooks and desktops don’t have the Apple TV Remote itself. All you can do from your Mac is to pause or resume playing the media. You can’t search for TV shows, activate the Apple TV screen saver, perform voice search, or navigate the app.
Follow the steps below to link and control Apple TV from Mac. Before you continue, make sure your device (such as your Mac and Apple TV) is using the same iCloud account.
On Apple TV setting >> >> Users and accountschoose Default user Account, and be careful iCloud The address in the “Apple ID” section.
Open your mac System Preferencesselect Apple IDCheck if your iCloud or Apple ID email matches your Apple TV address.
- Start House App on Mac.
- The first time you launch the app, you need to allow your home app access to iCloud Keychain. next, Turn on iCloud Keychain I will continue.
- Please check key ring box.
- select continue..
- Enter your Apple ID password, Next I will continue.
- Enter your Mac admin password, all right..
- Go back to the home app Turn on iCloud Keychain Also.
- Enter your iPhone or iPad passcode and wait for the Home app to load all the accessories connected to your Apple ID.
- select continue..
- If your Apple ID and Apple TV are linked, you’ll see a pop-up message asking you to add yourself to your Apple TV.select Add me to Apple TV continue.
Now Apple TV is in the sidebar[ホーム]or[ルーム]It will be displayed on the tab.
Pausing or resuming media playback causes Apple TV’s status to switch from “playing” to “paused” (or vice versa).
Control Apple TV on Mac using third-party apps
There are third-party apps that offer a wider range of control options than home apps. For example, the Ezzi Keyboard has navigation controls and keyboard support. You can use your Mac keyboard to enter search queries on Apple TV. But it’s a paid app ($ 0.99).
CiderTV, on the other hand, is completely free to use, but keyboard input is not supported. You can only navigate using the app and select apps and items. Equipped with Bluetooth, it’s easy to set up and use, and you can control your Apple TV from your Mac.
- Install CiderTV from the Mac App Store and launch the app.
- select addition Link the app to your Apple TV in the sidebar.
- select Open the bluetooth settingsTurn on Bluetooth on your Mac and keep the Bluetooth settings window open.
- Move to setting >> >> Remote control and device >> >> bluetooth Select your Mac in the Other Devices section of your Apple TV.
If you don’t see your Mac, turn off Bluetooth on your Mac and then turn it back on. Remember to keep the Bluetooth settings window open during the pairing process.
- Your Mac should display a connection request from your Apple TV.select connection Pair your Mac to your Apple TV.
- Go back to the CiderTV app and use the navigation controls to control your Apple TV.
Tap the arrow icon to navigate your Apple TV and[OK]Tap to select an app or item. Press the menu button to return to the previous screen or home screen.
Cider TV is enough to navigate Apple TV. But if you search for TV shows and apps often, or just search for flashy keyboard input, the Ezzi keyboard app is worth the $ 0.99 investment.
Navigate Apple TV remotely
Experience has shown that iOS and iPadOS Remote work best when all devices are on the same Wi-Fi network. For example, I tried using a cellular connection to control an Apple TV from an iPhone with a Wi-Fi connection. The iPhone remote worked on the first connection, but after a few minutes it stopped detecting the Apple TV.
So, if the Apple TV Remote on your iPhone or iPad keeps displaying the “Searching” message in the touch area, try connecting your device to the same Wi-Fi network and try again. You also need to update your Apple TV software to the latest version.