FaceTime calls are mostly casual and unofficial, so they don’t have to be mediocre. The video calling app comes with lots of effects that can liven up your conversation with friends, family, or anyone.
This article describes everything you need to know about using FaceTime filters and effects. It also includes six troubleshooting steps to try if the FaceTime effect doesn’t work properly on your iPhone.
FaceTimeAdd or use filters on video calls
Filters change the appearance by changing the tint and color of an image at the pixel level. When you start a FaceTime call and the other party answers or accepts the call, follow these steps:
- Tap effect FaceTime call menu icon.
If you don’t see the menu options in the call window, tap the iPhone screen to display the call menu on the screen.
- Tap Boomerang ring The icon (the three circles meshing icon) opens the FaceTime filter library.
- Swipe the list to select the filter you like. You can preview in real time what the filter will look like on your face.
- Tap to exit the filter window x icon Alternatively, double-tap anywhere in the video preview / viewfinder.
Tap or swipe up on the filter card to see a grid view of all FaceTime filters. Here’s a complete list of all FaceTime filters available: Comic Book, Comic Mono, Ink, Camcorder, Old Film, Watercolor, Watercolor Mono, Vivid, Vivid Warm, Vivid Cool, Dramatic, Dramatic Warm, Dramatic Cool, monaural, silver tone, noir.
This list is subject to change with new iOS or iPad OS updates, as Apple expects to introduce new filters in the future.
How to remove FaceTime filter
Suppose you no longer need to use filters.All you need to do is open filter Select a window and original..
Apart from filters, FaceTime comes with many other effects that can liven up your video calls. Learn how to use these FaceTime effects.
How to use FaceTime text labels
Labels allow you to add text to your FaceTime call screen. For example, you can use text labels to add discussion topics to your screen. The text label is visible to all participants in a FaceTime call. The workaround is as follows.
- Tap effect Icon when the other party answers a FaceTime call.
- Tap Sentence option.
- Select a label style and enter the required text on the call screen. You can use letters, numbers, symbols, and pictograms.
- Tap outside the text box to save / add text to the screen.
- To move the text, press and hold the text to move it to the desired position.
- Pinch in or out the label to increase or decrease the text size.
- To change the label, tap the label and edit the text accordingly.
- Removing labels is also very easy. Tap the label, x icon Located in the upper left corner.
How to use FaceTime stickers
There are two types of stickers on FaceTime for iPhone and iPad. “Emoji stickers” allow you to add 3D avatars (called emojis) to your call screen. The Emoji Sticker option allows you to add a digital version of the emoji selected in FaceTime. The mechanism is as follows.
Using Memoji stickers with FaceTime
Start a FaceTime video conversation with your contacts and follow these steps:
- Tap effect icon.
- Tap Memoji sticker Click the icon and select your favorite memo.
- Scroll the first line to see the other Memoji categories.
- Tap the Memoji Stickers header to see all Memoji in the selected category. Select the Memoji sticker to use for FaceTime calls.
Use emoji stickers with FaceTime
Here’s how to add and edit emoji stickers in FaceTime.
- Tap effect FaceTime call window icon.
- choose Emoji sticker icon.
- Swipe up to see all the stickers, select the emoji sticker and it will appear on the FaceTime call screen.
Both Memoji and Emoji stickers are mobile and resizable. Hold down the sticker and drag it to the desired position on the call screen. To magnify the sticker, place two fingers on the sticker and pinch both fingers. Hold the sticker and pinch both fingers to reduce the size of the sticker.
How to add shapes to FaceTime calls
Shapes are a special type of 2D emoji that starts as an animation and ends as a static emoji. Follow the same steps and steps as for other effects to add shapes to your FaceTime call.
Start a FaceTime call and tap effect Click the icon shape Click the icon, select the shape, and drag the shape to the desired position on the screen.
Does the FaceTime filter effect work?5 things to try
If you’re using an older iPhone, or if your device is running an older operating system, the FaceTime effect may malfunction. Here are some troubleshooting tips to try if you’re having trouble using FaceTime filters or other effects.
1. Turn on the camera
You can’t use the FaceTime filter with the device’s camera disabled. So if FaceTime has the “Effects” option grayed out, swipe up on the FaceTime menu and Camera off option.
2. Resume FaceTime call
End the call and start over. Even better, close and reopen the FaceTime app. Resume the conversation and see if the FaceTime effect works properly.
3. Check your internet connection
If your internet connection is slow or poor, the FaceTime effect will not work. Therefore, make sure your cellular or Wi-Fi connection is working properly. Enable or disable airplane mode, restart your router, and make sure low data mode is disabled on your iPhone.
4 Use another iPhone
Not all iPhone models support the FaceTime effect. If you don’t see the “Effects” option on your iPhone during a FaceTime call, the problem may be due to a hardware incompatibility. Currently, FaceTime effects are only supported on iPhone 7 and above. Visit this Apple support page for the latest list of iPhones that support camera effects with FaceTime.
5. Restart your iPhone
You can also fix the issue that causes FaceTime to malfunction when you restart your device. Hold down one of the side and volume buttons at the same time and move the power off slider to the right.
Wait for the iPhone to shut down completely and then turn on again. Press and hold the side button until you see the Apple logo on your screen.
6. Update iPhone
As mentioned above, software bugs can cause FaceTime related issues on iPhone. If the FaceTime filter still doesn’t work, update your iPhone and try again.go to setting >> >> Universal >> >> Software update Install updates on the page.
You can use multiple effects with FaceTime calls. However, only one Facetime filter can be applied at a time. It’s also important to note that screenshots captured by other participants will show FaceTime effects (filters, stickers, labels, shapes, etc.). Similarly, taking a FaceTime screenshot captures the effects used by other participants.
Do you often use filters and effects? If you have any questions about the FaceTime filter, drop a comment below.